Monday, May 17, 2010

The Biggest Garden Pest

Well Peter Cottontail found my garden and now I cannot get rid of him. I was looking forward to a wonderful bean harvest but he wanted to snack on them early. Here is the Before picture:



The After Picture is below it.

I replanted the last 3 rows of beans but I'll have to fence off the garden if I hope to grow them. In the front two rows I'm just going to pull up the sad stems and plant more summer squash. The bunny doesn't seem to like it very much so at least it stands a chance.


Update: I did some research on rabbit control and found out that sprinkling red pepper on the plants makes them nasty to rabbits and other animals. Also sprinkling dried blood, dog or cat hair or spraying predator animal urine around the area will keep the bunnies at bay.

So...I found some red pepper in my pantry and I sprinkled the remaining beans with it. Then I went to the nursery to find dried blood, but they were out. (Rabbits must be a common problem around here). They did have some fox urine however, so I bought some and sprayed the outside of the boxes with it. WOW does that stuff stink!! The product says it will stop stinking to humans when it dries. It is also guaranteed to be water proof and work for one month.


I only wonder....how do they harvest fox urine??

No comments:

Post a Comment